code 12 error when specifying files

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Aug 4 00:55:50 GMT 2006

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 02:30:29PM -0400, Erik Jacobs wrote:
> It works and lists fine.  But if I choose a wildcard which contains a LOT of
> files:     rsync user at node::filefolder/.7.*
> I get error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12)

Older rsync versions had a limit of 1000 filenames in the wild-card
expansion routine that the daemon module uses.  Modern rsyncs will let
this be limited by memory, but it's still more wasteful than using
include/exclude options because the latter avoids a separate list of
names outside of the file list.