Packages for rsync 2.6.8 with ACLs

Andrew Gideon c182driver1 at gideon.org
Wed Aug 2 22:49:11 GMT 2006

On Tue, 02 May 2006 22:51:37 -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:

> On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 10:58:01PM -0400, Matt McCutchen wrote:
>> At some point in the future, I will get back to improving the ACL
>> support.
>
> In the meantime, the patch in CVS has been improved significantly, and
> needs testing to ensure that it works well.  For instance, I got rid of
> some really wacky memory allocation routines (making even more extensive
> changes than some of the memory allocation improvements that you had
> started to work on).  I also added the proper reporting of changed ACLs in
> the itemized output (just to name the two biggest improvements).

A while ago (2.6.2), I patched the ACL patch to properly (more or
less; I'm still not deeply knowledgeable in this code, but it did
seem to work) handle files that had changed only in their ACLs (and posted
that change here). I thought to add this to the acls.diff patch for 2.6.8.

But problems arose.

First of all, the patch places sysacls.[hc] one directory too high.  These
need to be in the libs directory, lest 'make' will fail.

More importantly: when I build on CentOS 4 or Fedora Core 5, configure
thinks that ACLs are not available (despite telling configure
"--with-acl-support"). I know that Fedora Core 5 is shipping with a 2.6.8
that does recognize ACLs, but I've not yet traced down what it is doing
that is different than what I'm doing.

Any suggestions or pointers?

Thanks...

	Andrew

P.S.	I've confirmed that the version shipped with Fedora Core
	5 does not properly handle ACL-only changes with --link-dest
	in use.  It creates a link, thus leaving the "new" file with the
	old ACL.