Logging rsync transfers

Matt McCutchen hashproduct at verizon.net
Thu Apr 20 21:03:15 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 11:33 +0100, Hamish Robertson wrote:
> Matt McCutchen wrote:
> > If you want to use the daemon, write a rsyncd.conf specifying one or more
> > modules and have the clients use the double-colon or rsync:// syntax.
> > Then, you'll get lots of information in the daemon's log file or in
> > syslog if you specified syslog.
> >
> For this ^^ would I need to create a module in my rsyncd.conf for each
> of my computers' backups? Or is there a way that I could make a
> generic module which just says "log all rsync connections and
> transfers, regardless of destination and source"?

You can keep all the backups as folders inside a single module.  You
might have configuration files like this:

/etc/rsyncd.conf:
	[backup]
		path = /backups/data
		read only = false
		auth users = backupuser
		secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.backup.secrets

/etc/rsyncd.backup.secrets:
	backupuser:thepassword

Then, on computer foo, you might run:
rsync -vbalz --stats --backup-dir=/yesterday_backups/
--exclude-from="exclude_list.txt" --files-from="include_list.txt" .
backupuser at mydomain.com::backup/foo/

(Note the double colon and the lack of --rsh="ssh".)

--
Matt McCutchen
hashproduct at verizon.net
http://hashproduct.metaesthetics.net/