Encryption

Julian Pace Ross julian.paceross at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 11:15:19 GMT 2006

Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> However, some time into the file (between
>4KB and 16KB, depending on several factors) the files will resume to be
>identical, thus allowing rsync to work on them efficiently.

After my post yesterday, I managed to make it work and I must say that
it works pretty fine.. and it will solve my problem.
If only a few of the decrypted files changed, the process is quite fast,
and I think its a very good companion to rsync for incremental backups.
I think the fact that rsync still retains ability to see only the
changes is a big plus point.

>The man page for the latest version has examples designed to get you
>started as fast as possible. I'll grant you that there is no easy way to
>read the manual page if you are on Windows, though.

Yes I tried it on Linux after I went home yesterday and I take my comments back!

>rsyncrypto cannot write the output file in a one pass way, which means
>its output cannot be piped.

Piping the output file to rsync would be great as a future idea, but
since encrypting all the files then doing an rsync probably takes more
or less the same time as  doing them piped, it doesn't really affect my
solution at the moment.

I think it would be nicer if some more verbosity is introduced (for
example in the case of the src and dst being identical, write something
to stdout, or at the end of encryption, to write 'n files encrypted' or
something of that sort)... I might actually implement them for my
solution.. maybe I can then help with the devel.
Also the same in case of errors (invalid certificate etc..) but if
anything those go to the rsyncrypto list.

Cheers

Julian