rync killing the machine

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Sep 27 16:47:19 GMT 2005

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 02:17:40PM -0400, Warrick FitzGerald wrote:
> Is there some way to slow rsync down?

It all depends on what resource rsync is consuming on your system.

If it does not have a lot of CPU, you should be able to use "nice" to
make rsync use only left-over CPU cycles.  Also, if you're using ssh as
the remote shell, compressing the transfer takes a bunch of CPU too, so
you could switch cyphers to a less-CPU intensive one (such as arcfour or
blowfish) and/or nice ssh (or even switch over to using rsh or a daemon
connection).

If your system does not have a lot of disk I/O, then you might try using
the --bwlimit option to make rsync use less network I/O, and thus make
it consume disk I/O more slowly (as long as you don't use --checksum).