Rsync Windows Corrupt File

Max Kipness mkipness at pavestone.com
Tue Sep 27 12:52:28 GMT 2005

I've been using rsync for years on linux based systems but just recently
downloaded and installed rsync on an XP computer for a certain application.

For the most part it works fine except for one issue pertaining to an open
file.

When backing up the My Documents directory, there is an Outlook .pst file as
part of this directory. This is an in use pst file. If Outlook is closed,
the pst file seems to sync fine. I'm able to copy it back from the remote
server, and open it without issue. However, when Outlook is open, and
therefore the pst is in an open state, rsync throws an error about the pst
to stderr about not having permissions, yet in the log, it states that the
pst was synced. When copying the file back after this process, the file will
no longer open as Outlook states that it's not a valid pst file. So it works
fine when the pst is closed, but somehow corrupts the remote file if the
local file is open?? With linux I'm used to the file being completely
skipped.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Here is the command line options:

C:\\Program Files\\cwRsync\\rsync.exe" /cygdrive/c/
$remoteuser@$remoteserver://backup/Current/$hostname/ --stats --compress
--recursive --partial --files-from=files.txt --bwlimit=$speed --archive
--log-format=%f:::%l:::%b

Errors:

rsync: read errors mapping "/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/xxx/My
Documents/Max.pst": Permission denied (13)

rsync: read errors mapping "/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/xxx/My
Documents/Max.pst": Permission denied (13)

ERROR: Documents and Settings/xxx/My Documents/Max.pst failed verification
-- update retained.

rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(791)

Log:

Documents and Settings/xxx/My Documents/Max.pst:::271360:::66

Documents and Settings/xxx/My Documents/Max.pst:::271360:::40

Thanks,
Max