How to backing up ACL's on remote server ?

Ian Clancy ClancyIan at cel.ie
Tue Sep 27 09:53:44 GMT 2005

Hi List,
I'm currently backing up a number of samba servers onto a remote server
using a perl script called rsnapshot which utilises rsync. Over the last
few i've started using posix ACL's on my samba server and now I would
like to be able to back up these ACLS's.
All of my servers are have their filesystems (ext3) mounted with ACL
support and i am using the following version of rsync compiled with the
acl patch :

rsync  version 2.6.6  protocol version 29
Copyright (C) 1996-2005 by Andrew Tridgell and others
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, ACLs, symlinks,
batchfiles,
              inplace, IPv6, 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

At the moment i can back up acls on the local system. For example the
following works fine :

/usr/local/bin/rsync -artlDPpv --acls /var/log/gdm /tmp

However, when i try to backup a remote system i recieve some errors:

/usr/local/bin/rsync -AaPv --delete --numeric-ids --rsh=/usr/bin/ssh
--link-dest=/var/backups/trace/hourly.1/Data/
root at 192.168.6.12:"/var/shares/Traceability/Trace\ V114/data/"
/var/backups/trace/hourly.0/Data/

rsync: on remote machine: -vlAogDtpr: unknown option
rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at main.c(1084)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(434)

Finally, my question is, Do i need to install rsync with ACL's support
on all my samba servers ?
Is there anything else i am doing wrong ?.

thanks,
Ian