mirror combined with 7 day incremental backup

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Mon Sep 19 08:49:30 GMT 2005

On Sat 17 Sep 2005, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 01:27:16PM -0400, Darcy Bangsund wrote:
> > I Want to utilize the --delete option for files that no longer exist on
> > /mnt/production/ that  have been on /mnt/backup/production/ for longer
> > then 7 days.
>
> Your two choices are (1) to use --link-dest into a new directory every
> day (which shares most of the data using hard-links, but does require 7
> days worth of inodes for the whole hierarchy, which may be undesireable)

Hmm, I don't understand what you mean with "7 days worth of inodes".
If only 1% of the files change every day, then you only need "1 days
worth + 6%" inodes (ignoring unique inodes for every directory, as you
can't hard-link directories, and ignoring special files such as device
nodes which aren't linked apparently).

> or (2) use --backup and --backup-dir into a new directory every day to
> put just the changed/deleted files into that backup hierarchy.

I've noticed that no one has mentioned dirvish yet, which takes a lot of
the work out of your hands. See http://www.dirvish.org/

Paul Slootman