mirror combined with 7 day incremental backup

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Sep 17 18:08:27 GMT 2005

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 01:27:16PM -0400, Darcy Bangsund wrote:
> I Want to utilize the --delete option for files that no longer exist on
> /mnt/production/ that  have been on /mnt/backup/production/ for longer
> then 7 days.

Your two choices are (1) to use --link-dest into a new directory every
day (which shares most of the data using hard-links, but does require 7
days worth of inodes for the whole hierarchy, which may be undesireable)
or (2) use --backup and --backup-dir into a new directory every day to
put just the changed/deleted files into that backup hierarchy.