probbable generator hang bug in rsync

vv news2 at ouaich.net
Sat Sep 17 09:38:37 GMT 2005

Hi,

have the list history because i've just subscribed).

> I just wanted to say i'm having exactly the same problem, through openVPN,
when the rsync client is stopped with SIGINT (and possibly by other means
such as > network outage?).
> The rsync daemon process endlessly loops on select() timeouts but never
exits (timeout is set to 300 seconds - 5 minutes).
> Since the rsync client is launched frequently from cron (files change
frequently and i need recent backups), i've configured max connections on
the daemon to 1 in > order to avoid overlapped rsync's, but the timeout
problems breaks this.
> Moreover, i couldn't find an easy way to detect & terminate (sigkill
doesn't stop it) the faulty daemon process, i'm stuck :(

> Is there a way to resolve this in rsync, although this doesn't seem to be
rsync related problem?

The problem dissapeared since i've setup a second module on rsync daemon.
Maybe it finally is an rsync related problem?

PS: sorry for html in previous mail :/

-- vv

<snip/>