writefd_unbuffered failed to write 32768 bytes: phase

Ray Harder rayharder at aol.com
Fri Sep 16 04:38:50 GMT 2005

Dag Wieers <dag <at> wieers.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I receive this error when rsyncing. I suspect this is because of network
> problems. But the 'Invalid argument' and 'phase unknown' makes it very
> unobvious.

> 	packages/scribus/scribus-1.2.3-0.rf.src.rpm
> 	Read from remote host rsync.sw.be: Invalid argument
> 	rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 32768 bytes: phase "unknown"
[sender]: Broken pipe (32)
> 	rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (796308 bytes received so far) [sender]
> 	rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(434)
>
> Kind regards,

Dag:

I am totally ignorant of what this could be or how to help, but I have exactly
the  same problem while booted from an internal Mac PowerBookG4 and rsyncing
from one local firewire volume to another local firewire volume daisy chained to
it, so I think that definitely rules out a network issue, no?

I have been really stumped on this one.....

If your figure it out, please share.

Here is the output, which as you can see is fundamentally the same as yours.

____Terminal output____________

sudo rsync -axEHuvv --delete --inplace --whole-file /Volumes/MacXHD/
/Volumes/MacintoshxHD

building file list ...
[sender] expand file_list to 131072 bytes, did move
[sender] expand file_list to 262144 bytes, did move
[sender] expand file_list to 524288 bytes, did move
[sender] expand file_list to 1048576 bytes, did move
[sender] expand file_list to 2097152 bytes, did move
[sender] expand file_list to 4194304 bytes, did move
done
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 86 bytes: phase "unknown" [receiver]:
Broken pipe (32)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
/SourceCache/rsync/rsync-20/rsync/io.c(909)
Bus error

_________End Terminal output_______

Ideas?

Thanks