probbable generator hang bug in rsync

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Sep 15 08:26:20 GMT 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 06:04:16PM -0500, Steve Sether wrote:
> Could this be a problem with Linux?  I've tried killing the
> stunnel process (as well as the parent stunnel process) on
> the server, and the rsync process persists.

Wow, that's unexpected.  I had thought that the connection from the
stunnel process to the rsync process would have been a normal (albeit
local) socket connection.  Perhaps it is not?  Or perhaps there is a bug
that got triggered by this setup.  The way rsync works, it has two
separate processes accessing one socket (one reading, one writing), and
both need to be notified of the EOF.  It sounds like the receiver got an
EOF when reading (and terminated) but that the generator did not get
told about the EOF when waiting around to write.