Partial files cause: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(584)

Ian Webber rimmer100 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 15 03:51:41 GMT 2005

Hello,

I am wondering if any of you have any ideas for what I am experiencing.

I use Rsync over a local network to backup files from a laptop to my main PC which is running the server as a service.  These are both Windows 2000 machines running Cygwin 1.5.18-1 and Rsync 2.6.6.  It works fine unless I turn on the partial file option (--partial) and then try to resume an interrupted copy.  This is a log of what's happening.

opening tcp connection to 192.168.0.102 port 873
opening connection using --server -vvtr --partial . avcopy
building file list ...
24 files to consider
ShouldIWorryAbout/
ShouldIWorryAbout/Should I Worry About... Drinking.avi
rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes: phase "unknown" [sender]: Con
nection reset by peer (104)
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(584)

It definately seems to be a problem when it finds a partial of the file it is trying to copy in the destination directory. From what I have seen if you have the --partial option set, if you stop the transfer, the file in the destination directory is renamed to it's 'proper' name even though it is not complete. When the partial didn't rename properly I could start the transfer again without difficulty, otherwise I had to delete the partial file and start the transfer again.

Once the partial file is in the directory, even if I change the command to not make use of partial files, rsync still fails with the above error.

I am not using a secure channel and I have tried it without any firewalls running but this makes no difference. I am running cwRsync 2.03 (http://www.itefix.no) on both the computers. Only the main PC has the server installed on it running as a service.  I have checked the permissions and the correct local user has the ability to write to the required directory.

I googled the web and the archive list and didn't find anything that seemed to relate to it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ian