How to do server-side logging with rsync running through a SSH tunnel?

Igor Hjelmstrom Vinhas Ribeiro igor at dextra.com.br
Wed Sep 14 19:22:01 GMT 2005

Hello!

 I am using rsync to synchronize files between a master server and
multiple clients
that share a SSH account. I am struggling right now to make the server
log what
files were transferred, and when the synchronization happens.

 My setup follows.

 The clients log to an ssh account configured to run a script as the
login shell:

 (in ~/.ssh/authorized keys)
 command="/home/igor/rsync_shell"

 The script checks if the command is valid (and also if it points inside
somewhere allowed)
and at its end issues:

 rsync --config=/home/igor/rsyncd.conf --daemon --server --sender -vr .
./somefolder/somewhere

 Unfortunately, from what I saw in an old message
(http://www.mail-archive.com/rsync@lists.samba.org/msg04728.html)
in the archive, "rsync --daemon and ssh do not currently work together
at all".

 The script works, but the config file seems to be ignored: there is a
log file definition inside it
and no logging takes place when I run the rsync command in the clients
(the process works
and the files are properly synchronized, though).

 What I am missing? Is there any other way (besides a config file) to
make the server log
transfers to a file? If the answer is yes, please tell me...

Thanks for you patience,
 Igor.