rsync newbie

Scott Miller srmiller at interbel.net
Tue Sep 13 20:13:10 GMT 2005

I am attempting to set up a "backup server" using rsync - it will store the backups from my 5 other servers and initiate the rsync process to pull the information over to itself.  From there, it will all be going to tape.

I've read just about everything I could the past few weeks, and feel I am very close to a solution, but google's not helping much.

>From the backup server, I initiate the rsync process with the command:

rsync -av 10.10.10.5::dns/ /mnt/dns1

On the server being backed up, I have the following rsync.conf file:

uid = 0
gid = 0
use chroot = no
max connections = 4
syslog facility = local5
pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
read only = true
list = false
hosts allow = 65.19.234.235

[dns]
path = /var/named
comment = dns config files

[web]
path = /var/www
comment = test web files

My problem:  I keep getting the following error and can't find much info on it, or how to fix it:

rsync: read error:  connection reset by peer
rsync error:  error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(177)

I've started the rsync process with rsync --daemon, and have modified the appropriate services and xinetd files.  I've also sent a sig hup to xinetd.

Any help, or a point the in the right direction would be greatly appriciated.