Exclude directoy

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Sep 9 07:25:22 GMT 2005

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 08:33:47AM +0200, Martin Kammerlander wrote:
> If I want to exclude all directories in different locations named for
> example "binary" but not files with name "binary", which exclude
> command I have to use?

In the manpage, there is a section entitled INCLUDE/EXCLUDE PATTERN
RULES that explains this (quoting):

  -  if the pattern ends with a / then it will only match a directory,
     not a file, link, or device.

So, the option you want is:

    --exclude=binary/

See the manpage for why you don't need the '*'s (unless "binary" is only
a part of the filename, e.g. "binarydir" or "2nd-binary" would require
the use of wildcards to block them all with one exclude):

    http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/rsync.html