one cause of: partial transfer (code 23) at main.c(537)

Read, Danny dread at hp.com
Wed Sep 7 22:46:06 GMT 2005

Hello Rsync followers,

Just wanted to pass along for posterity the resolution
to my recent battle with this rsync error:
    partial transfer (code 23) at main.c(537)

I am pushing a bunch of files from an hp-ux server
(running version 2.5.0 protocol version 25)
to a Windows 2003 server (via a cygwin/sshd
service, running version 2.6.6 protocol version 29).

Long story short, I should have paid more attention
to this message, which also appeared in some of my
early attempts:

 recv_files: "{my path}/SGML" is a directory

Anyway, my root problem is that in the same directory,
I had both a file named "SGML" and a directory
named "sgml".

Rsync did it's best to alert me to the problem,
but it took me too long to figure it out.

If you get the partial transfer error (code 23),
when pushing files to Windows, make sure none of your
filenames are duplicates when you ignore upper and lower
case!

Danny