backing up Linux Caldera

Yo yo at jamesstreet.school.nz
Wed Sep 7 05:19:03 GMT 2005

Hi
I work at a school that has a linux server and windows workstations. The linux server
is managed remotely by someone else. Up until now we have backed up to a tape
drive on the linux using Bru. This was becoming more and more unreliable so I
changed tack and  I have been backing up Shares on the server through Windows
XP using an MS-Dos batch file -using xcopy, copying to a removable drive attached
to the Windows machine.
It has been working OK as far as I can see, i.e  the files are copied to the removable
drive. I have been doing this daily for about 2 weeks. However today the server
crashed apparently because of 'kernel panic'. The remote tech suggested this may
because xcopy leaves the files open on the linux. Could this be true? If it is can you
suggest an easy way to achieve backups through the Windows interface?

Thanks
YoYo Oliver
Computers
James Street School