Rsync patch for default ACLs and executability

Matt McCutchen hashproduct at verizon.net
Sun Sep 4 03:13:44 GMT 2005

I wrote a patch for rsync 2.6.6 that changes two things:

(1) When the receiving rsync creates a file in a directory with a
default ACL and `--perms' is off, rsync uses the default ACL instead of
the umask to calculate the new file's permissions.  All programs that
just use `open' and don't do an explicit `chmod' are forward-compatible
with default ACLs, but rsync always sets permissions itself, so it had
to be modified to handle default ACLs correctly.

(2) Even if `--perms' is off, rsync preserves executability of files.
The precise semantics are explained in the patched man page.

The patch is attached.  If you're interested in these features, please
test it and tell me if you have any problems with it.  I request that
the patch be included in the `patches' directory of the next release of
rsync if it is found to work correctly.
--
Matt McCutchen, ``hashproduct''
hashproduct at verizon.net -- http://mysite.verizon.net/hashproduct/