rsync when working on both sides...

Matt McCutchen hashproduct at verizon.net
Sun Oct 30 15:56:50 GMT 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 16:40 +0100, Christian Schneider wrote:
> Hi rsync devs and users,
>
> I want to use rsync to synchronize home directories on two PCs. It works
> fine if I start rsync after working on a host each time I leave. But
> instead of operating modes "host1 -> host2" and "host2 -> host1" I would
> like to have a mode "host1 <-> host2" to allow synchronizing at any time
> [...]

I first learned to use rsync in the hope that it would provide a similar
two-way synchronization solution, and when I failed to find a switch, I
went so far as to submit a Request for Enhancement, but that really
isn't what rsync is designed for.  I rigged up a shell script called
"msync" similar to yours but that is reluctant to delete things; this
script and a corresponding "msync-rm" are attached in case you are
interested.

Try Unison instead.  It is available here:
	http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
--
Matt McCutchen, ``hashproduct''
hashproduct at verizon.net -- http://mysite.verizon.net/hashproduct/