"rsync: not found" error with sshwindows

Anthony DiSante theant at nodivisions.com
Tue Oct 25 01:08:04 GMT 2005

Manuel López-Ibáñez wrote:
>> Actually, rsync is not the transport in this scenario, SSH is.  The
>> Windows system doesn't need to have rsync installed.  I'm using rsync
>> because I want to sync many files within the directory tree (not shown
>> in my example, which was simplified to just foo.txt to show the error).
>>
>> -Anthony DiSante
>>

> Dude!! If you are right, then this line of the manual page is quite
> misleading!! :
>
> "Note  that  rsync  must be installed on both the source and
> destination machines."

Hm, yes.  I don't know what I was thinking.  I guess I've gotten used to
thinking that I'll make a given transfer using rsync-over-SSH instead of the
actual rsync daemon, and somehow in my mind I turned that into "don't need
rsync on both ends, just SSH!"  And I do about 80% of my transfers in
UNIX-only environments where rsync is always already installed; not having
to manually install it makes it a little less obvious that it's being used
on the target.

Anyway, duh.  Sorry for the trouble.

-Anthony DiSante