rsync and caps on FAT32 disk

Alban Taraire alban.taraire at netk5.com
Mon Oct 24 08:02:28 GMT 2005

hello,

I plan to use rsync for backing up my data to a FAT32 USB disk. I'm running
the last Mandriva linux 2006 and my filesystem is ext8 using UFT-8 charset.

I run into a problem with some of my folders that have full caps names on the
ext3 disk (/home/foo/BAR/ for example).

When rsync creates the folder on the USB disk, it doesn't
create /home/foo/BAR/ but /home/foo/bar/. And then complains about a non
existing folder when it tries to copy /home/foo/BAR/myfile to the USB disk,
since the USB disk doesn't contain any /home/foo/BAR/ (but does contain
a /home/foo/bar/).

I don't know how to solve this problem (except avoiding in the future to use
full caps names for directories, but this is not a user-friendly solution...)

Note : if i have a /home/foo/Bar/ it works perfectly. I only saw the problem
with full caps names.

Thanks,

Alban