"-signs in rsync as well as in embedded ssh command

Peter van der Meer w.p.vandermeer at student.utwente.nl
Fri Oct 21 12:56:01 GMT 2005

Hello,

Today I succesfully transfered some testfile on my local computer with the
following command:
 rsync -e "ssh" testfile.txt localhost:receive

I can also succesfully connect with SSH to a remote server through an http proxy
with the following command:
 ssh -o "ProxyCommand corkscrew myhttpProxy 8080 targetcomputer.domain 22"
targetcomputer.domain

But I'm so far unable to combine them, mostly because the "-signs in the SSH
command seem to conflict with the "-signs in the rsync command.

I've tried the following combinations with the following results:

command:
 rsync -e "ssh -o \"ProxyCommand corkscrew myhttpProxy 8080
targetcomputer.domain 22\"" testfile.txt targetcomputer.domain:receive
results in:
 command-line: line 0: Bad configuration option: "ProxyCommand
 rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
 rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(420)

[...]

 command-line line 0: Missing argument.
 rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
 rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(420)

command:
 rsync -e "ssh -o ProxyCommand\ corkscrew\ myhttpProxy\ 8080\
targetcomputer.domain\ 22" testfile.txt targetcomputer.domain:receive
results in:
 command-line: line 0: Bad configuration option: ProxyCommand\\
 rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
 rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(420)

I've read the firewalls section in the manual and the thread from yesterday
about multiple SSH-hops, but unfortunately none of the sollutions there need any
"-signs in the ssh command.

Does anybody here has another suggestion?

Regards,
Peter van der Meer