rsync through multiple ssh hops with password authentication prompt

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Oct 20 19:53:08 GMT 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 10:29:21PM -0400, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> $ ssh -L 2222:target:22 -N -f middleuser at middle
> Password: middlepass

Port-forwarding 22 is a great idea as long as ssh is configured not to
complain about the host conflict -- nicely done.  I've added this to the
FAQ in the "rsync through a firewall" section.

I also changed the suggested rsync command in the first method to make
the system names more intuitive than the previous method.

> <ssh just sits there>

Not when using -f -- that tells ssh to disconnect from the terminal and
run in the background.