rsync through multiple ssh hops with password authentication prompt

Manuel López-Ibáñez manuellopezibanez at yahoo.es
Thu Oct 20 18:27:27 GMT 2005

Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 06:06:28PM +0100, Manuel L?pez-Ib??ez wrote:
>
>>Can rsync work while ssh-agent is forwarding data?
>

> Of course.  All rsync needs is an 8-bit clean pipe to send its data.
> What ssh does on its own to authorize connections is of no concern to
> rsync.
>
> ..wayne..

I think I was not very precise on my question. What I mean is:
Can the passphrase prompt and authorisation for target go through middle
to source without messing up rsync's mind as occurs when using password
authentication?

I am sorry but I am not able to see why this works where password
authentication fails.

(BTW, thanks to all the people who has replied so far, really
informative answers).