rsync --compare-dest creates all dirs and symlinks

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Oct 18 19:57:42 GMT 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 08:07:56PM +0200, Dirk Schenkewitz wrote:
> What happens is that rsync creates the whole tree of directories below
> /data/A/gany.1/lib and also created all symlinks within that tree.

Yes, that's the way rsync currently works.  I'm considering making
--compare-dest and --link-dest affect symlinks and devices, but it only
affects regular files at the moment.

As for all the directories, it would take some kind of a lazy dir-
creation option to avoid creating directories that were not needed to
hold the non-directory content.  I think that would be fairly easy to
create, but no one has coded it up yet.