Incomplete sync

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Oct 17 22:29:50 GMT 2005

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 10:45:24PM +1000, David wrote:
> could be an issue but I have set the vmware machines to update time
> via ntp on a regular basis and made the --modify-window=2010 so I
> thought I should be fine.

I don't see why you want timestamps to be able to differ by 33.5
minutes.  Also, the time the two machines keep doesn't matter from the
perspective of rsync-copied files -- as long as you're using the --times
option (which you don't seem to have specified) and each file's time
gets saved correctly to the file system, all should be well.

> 1)	If I do a full sync with deletions rsync wants to delete a huge
> number of entries in the dev directory

Which probably means that you don't have your directories lined up the
way you thought.  Use --dry-run (-n) and lots of -v options to see what
rsync is doing.