rsync output question

Sameer Kamat sameer at unitrends.com
Thu Oct 13 15:56:16 GMT 2005

Hello,

     I am synchronizing one ~15GB file over the network. This file from the previous day exists on the destination and I synchronized today's file over. This is the output.

Number of files: 1
Number of files transferred: 1
Total file size: 15919685632 bytes
Total transferred file size: 15919685632 bytes
Literal data: 6208029752 bytes
Matched data: 9711655880 bytes
File list size: 44
Total bytes written: 3576325033
Total bytes read: 433560

wrote 3576325033 bytes  read 433560 bytes  962140.85 bytes/sec
total size is 15919685632  speedup is 4.45

Does the literal data indicate the actual number of bytes it sent over the wire to the destination ? What is Total bytes written ?  This probably has been discussed earlier, but I would really appreciate it if someone could explain it again. On the destination side, I see that a temp file of 15919685632  bytes was constructed. Now if the all of the 15919685632 bytes were not sent over, is this temp file on the server constructed from the existing file on the destination and the changes sent from the source ? Or were the entire 15919685632  bytes sent over ?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Sameer.