acl support, etc.

Lee Cullens lee_cullens at mac.com
Sat Oct 1 14:48:50 GMT 2005

Matt McCutchen wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 20:09 +0000, stefanke at micodat.com wrote:
>

>>I try to use rsync with the option --acl but it doesn`t work.
>>
>>send_acl : sys_acl_get_file(haservices, SMB_ACL_TYPE_ACCESS): Operation not supported
>>
>>Does my rsync-package don`t support acls or what is going wrong here?
>>

>That means the particular filesystem containing the file "haservices"
>has ACLs disabled, so rsync only copied the permissions.  To enable ACLs
>on a filesystem, add "acl" to its mount options in /etc/fstab and
>remount.
>
>On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 20:56 +0000, stefanke at micodat.com wrote:
>

>>I try to use rsync with acl support. Files with acls were transfered but the acls of direcotries don`t! Is it not possible to transfer acls of diretories?
>>

>Directory ACLs seem to transfer fine with rsync 2.6.6.  Try a newer
>version of rsync.
>
>Yay!  I'm not the only ACL fanatic!

Matt,

"Yay!  I'm not the only ACL fanatic!"

You are certainly not the only one concerned with understanding and
facilitating the full functionality of a file system. :-)

My interest, to go along with my article <a
href="http://homepage.mac.com/lee_cullens/Bx3.html">Backup::Restore</a>,
is in developing an "independent" backup validation for Mac HFS+ file
systems.  Unfortunately, because of Apple's rsync "handiwork" I'm stuck
at rsync 2.6.3.  Even in checking out various Open Source software like
rdiff-backup there does not seem to be much interest in EAs and ACLs,
though at least there is xattr for AEs.  Portions of ACL handling,
though, are non-portable.

That is why, after approaching the issue from Python and Bash scripting,
I'm going back to basics.  It has been twenty some years since I last
used C, but I'm brushing up now and moving on to ObjC and Cocoa.  The
one thing I can say for Apple in this regard is their provided IDE (Xcode).

My "intent" is really more than just validation.  As long as I'm pulling
together the functionality, I hope to develop a package with full file
system management capabilities - something along the lines of MC and
Apple's dev tool FileMerge, but with more than two pane functionality.
Something to keep my head busy in my retirement :<))

Keep up the good work,

Lee C

the second mouse gets the cheese." -- Willie Nelson</font></blockquote>