Is it possible to backup database using rsync?

Linus Hicks lihicks at gpi.com
Tue Nov 29 13:19:32 GMT 2005

Harish wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I want to back up my database using log files.
>
> 1. Is it possible to backup database using rsync?
> 2. Can it copy redo log file which are open?
> 3. It has any special feature to handle redo log files of database while
> copying?

If you are talking about for instance, an Oracle database, you have options for
backing up either cold or hot. If the database is shut down, you don't have to
do anything special. If it is open, then you will need to put a tablespace into
hot backup mode before you start copying it, then take it out of hot backup mode
when it is done. If you don't have any experience with this, then it is probably
a good idea to talk with a DBA that has done it before, or it might take a lot
of experimentation to get it right.

Linus