Permissions problem I don't understand

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Sun Nov 20 18:47:57 GMT 2005

On Sunday 20 Nov 2005 16:32, you wrote:
> On 11/19/05, Alan Chandler <alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > rsync -axq --modify-window=2 --delete --exclude=Mail/ --backup
> > --backup-dir=/archive ~/My\ Documents/  roo.home::rabbit/backup/My\
> > Documents/
> >
> > and get the following error message
> >
> > rsync: keep_backup failed: "/backup/My Documents/test.file" (in rabbit)
> > -> "/archive/test.file": Permission denied (13)
> > rsync: stat "/archive/test.file" (in rabbit) failed: No such file or
> > directory (2)
>
> I'm not 100% sure, but I think --backup-dir overrides the directory
> set in the DEST field of the command line... so you're trying to
> backup to roo.home::/archive rather than to
> roo.home::/bak/rabbit/rabbit/backup/My\ Documents.

Lets keep the discussion on the mailing list ...

... but I tried an experiment and changed --backup-dir to /archive2, and in
this case the archive directory was created in the correct place
(as /bak/rabbit/archive2 - you snipped that bit of my original message)

(although I still got the permissions error and the file wasn't created).

So I don't think that is true.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk