rsync local copy saves ower:group remote copy sets to rsync.conf owner:group

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Nov 15 05:29:33 GMT 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 10:40:40PM -0600, Flowers, Linda wrote:
> Anyone have any idea why the owner:group would be set differently on
> the destination for a local/local rsync vs a remote/local rsync ...

Sure, there's several things you could be doing inconsistently that
would cause that result.  However, you haven't given enough information
for anything more than wild speculation, which I'm not in the mood for
at the moment.

However, in your original request you asked how you could always get
rsync to set the ownership to a constant value, and the answer was a
good one (albeit rather cryptic):  perform your local copying to a
localhost rsync daemon.