trace the problem

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Fri Nov 11 10:05:21 GMT 2005

On Fri 11 Nov 2005, Manuel Kissoyan wrote:

> Today i ran the rsync and i straced it, below i pasted part of the strace,
> was tracing that almost an hour before i killed the process because was
> hammering the server, but sounds like a loop.
>
> Anybody have an idea what could be and if really is a loop?

It's not a loop, as I don't see any point where the file descriptor 3
from which it's reading is reset, so it is in fact reading a very large
file with nulls. It would have been useful to use lsof at that point to
see what file that is. Perhaps someone created a gigantic (sparse)
file...

Paul Slootman