Problem with rsync on WinXP going to HP-UX or Linux

Stan Sieler sieler at allegro.com
Thu Nov 10 00:46:58 GMT 2005

Re:

> > 1. from PC to HP-UX: rsh works, rsynch doesn't
>
> You should run rsync with -vv so you can see for sure what remote-shell

thanks...here's the result...

   C:\rsync>type test.bat
   @echo off
   rsync -vv -auvzbPv test.bat ozma:/tmp/foo

   C:\rsync>test
   cmd= machine=ozma user= path=/tmp/foo
   cmd=rsh.exe ozma rsync --server -vvvvbulogDtprz --partial . /tmp/foo
   Terminal readThe handle is invalid.
   rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
   _exit_cleanup(code=12, file=io.c, line=420): entered
   rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(420)
   _exit_cleanup(code=12, file=io.c, line=420): about to call exit(12)
   : rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
   rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(151)

> you earlier mentioned that you setup an rsync daemon via xinetd, so you
> could alternately use double-colon syntax to talk to that daemon instead

Interesting...

   C:\rsync>rsync ozma::
   ftp             ftp export area

   C:\rsync>rsync test.bat ozma::
   ftp             ftp export area

getting close...

   C:\rsync>rsync ozma::ftp/foo foo
   @ERROR: invalid gid nobody
   rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (39 bytes read so far)
   rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(139)

   C:\rsync>rsync ozma::/ftp/foo foo
   ERROR: The remote path must start with a module name not a /
   rsync error: unexplained error (code -1) at main.c(842)

   (the security on the /tmp/ftp directory is 777, and on the /tmp/ftp/foo
   file is 666, created by gid "users", uid "sieler")

> > 2. from PC to Linux: nothing works
>
> That's a remote-shell problem.

ok.  I'm primary interested in getting an rsync to anywhere from the
PC working, so I'll concentrate on the HP-UX box (which gets further),
and worry about the Linux box later.

> > ssh: connect to host opus port 22: Connection refused
>
> Port 22 is ssh's port, not rsh (as you appear to have discovered later
> in your email).  Perhaps you just need to enable sshd on that system or
> configure rsync to use rsh via the RSYNC_RSH environment variable.

ok.

> > /usr/bin/rsh: opus:  not found.
>
> That is a complaint from rsh about its command syntax.  You should use
> the -vv option to rsync to see what remote-shell command it is running,
> and then figure out if there is a problem with that command syntax by
> checking into what rsh requires.

will check.

thanks!

--