problems with telling rsync what to delete

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue May 31 17:54:05 GMT 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 06:56:48PM +0200, Erik Romijn wrote:
> In the manual I read that when using --delete-after rsync would not
> delete files in the excluded files list

This is true for any --delete processing, not just --delete-after.

> The exclude file list has filenames that are relative to the source
> directory supplied to rsync, so that would be correct.

If the files are still be deleted, then you've got some kind of an error
in the contents of your --exclude-from file.  You can either experiment
with changes to fix it or ask a more specific question that includes
both the --exclude-from line that you think should be working and the
full path of a file that you think should not be deleted.