Log Summary

John Van Essen vanes002 at umn.edu
Sat May 28 21:05:58 GMT 2005

On Sat, 28 May 2005, dan tran <dantran at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello every one, I would like to understand the summary of my sync log (below)
>
> <log>
>  sent 2268 bytes  received 1674253 bytes  372560.22 bytes/sec
>  total size is 301413395  speedup is 179.79'
> </log>
>
> Does mean my received rate is ~ 372K/sec?

Essentially, yes.  The bytes/sec is actually (sent+received)/time,
but usually one direction predominates, so it could be thought of
as the data transfer rate for that direction.

> Total local mirror size is ~300M?

"total size" refers to the files that were considered for transfer
from the source.  So yes - that can be thought of as the total size
of the mirrored hierarchy.

> What is speedup?

(total size)/(sent+received).  It's a measure of the total size of
the data vs. the amount of data that was transferred in order to get
the destination in sync.  Without rsync's comparison tests for file
size/time and its block checksum algorithms, you'd be doing complete
copies of every file every time in order to do the synchronization.
This "speedup" value indicates how much faster rsync is since it
does the synchronization intelligently and efficiently instead of by
brute force.

    John