Preserving uid/gid on remote machine with non-root permission

David Hausheer hausheer at tik.ee.ethz.ch
Fri May 27 14:22:52 GMT 2005

Is there a way to backup files to a remote machine on which I don't have
root permission, while preserving their uids/gids? I know that only the
super-user can set the owner and group of a file, so what I am actually
looking for is a tool that would store the actual uids/gids of all files
that are backuped by rsync in a kind of meta-file. This file could then
be used to restore the files with their original owner- and group
membership.

Thanks for your help.

David

| Dipl. El.-Ing. ETH David Hausheer                                  |
| Computer Engineering and Networks Laboratory (TIK), ETH Zurich     |
| Postal Address: ETH-Zentrum, CH-8092 Zurich                        |
| Phone:  +41-44-632-7540  |         Room: ETZ H83, Gloriastrasse 35 |
| Fax:    +41-44-632-1035  |  E-Mail: mailto:hausheer at tik.ee.ethz.ch |
| Mobile: +41-79-336-4076  |  WWW: http://www.csg.ethz.ch/~hausheer/ |