Monitor a folder

Stuart Halliday StuartH at ecs-tech.com
Wed May 25 15:03:36 GMT 2005

> Thus, my question is; can Rsync monitor a folder or filesystem for
> changes and perform it's synchronization when changes occur as opposed
> to being "cron'd" to run at specified intervals?

No it can't.

But whenever I need to monitor a folder for changes I just write a simply low priority script which looks for changes to the contents and then runs a Rsync on it.

In Windows I simply do a DIR of the folder contents and save this to a file. Then the script compares it again.

Easy to do this with a BASH script loop I would have thought?