RSYNC with Double-byte

Scott Sykora swsykora at ucdavis.edu
Mon May 23 22:54:08 GMT 2005

I'm having the exact same problem as Stuart Halliday above.  I'm using
rsync on cygwin as a backup solution where several machines backup to and
OSX server nightly.  For most of the machines this works fine, but any
filenames rsync comes across with strange characters, for examplc the
copywright symbol, do not get transfered.

the error output looks like this:

mkstemp "/backup/Arrestin Articles/.He 2000, Modules in the photoreceptor
RGSP-1<B7>G sub beta5L GTPase-accelerating protein complex control effector
coupling, GTPase acceleration, protein folding, and stability.pdf.Pcp04G"
failed: Invalid argument

where the <B7> is a character that doesnt work with rsync.  i could just
rename most of the files but one of the machines is used by somebody who
works in the chinese alphabet and none of those file can be handled by rsync.

is there a way to have rsync change the names to something it can handle?
is there a way to wrap or mount the drives in cygwin to get around this?
any help would be wonderfull.

-scott

swsykora at ucdavis dot edu