Symlink options (was Mysterious (bogus?) rsync(d) errors ...)

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri May 20 07:15:31 GMT 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 02:00:22AM -0500, John Van Essen wrote:
> Instead of --safe-links, shouldn't that be --copy-unsafe-links?

Yes, I misspoke there.  The --safe-links option just causes the unsafe
symlinks to be skipped, not copied.  Still, unless symlinks are actually
being copied (as symlinks), it currently does nothing (though it seems
like it should imply --links in an ideal world).

> To copy referents of safe symlinks and ignore unsafe symlinks:
>     --copy-links --safe-links

Since --copy-links turns all the symlinks into normal files, there are
no unsafe symlinks to ignore, so --safe-links does nothing in that
instance either (this is because the generator is doing the safety
check, and the sender is turning the symlinks into files).

> If that summary is correct, can it be added to the SYMLINKS section?

Seems like it would be useful to add a summary like that.