multiple simultaneous instances of 'rsync'

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Wed May 18 14:28:29 GMT 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 11:15:50AM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
> The problem is that even though (in my test) two rsync processes have
> been called (check with 'ps ax | grep rsync') and in the end they both
> work they don't seem to run at the same time, which is my goal.

Remember that the receiving side forks into two processes, I'd guess
that you're just be seeing a single run's two processes.  If so, you
need to fix how your script runs the commands at the same time (it needs
to fork(), use exec() to run rsync from the child process, use system()
to run rsync from the parent process, and then have the parent process
use waitpid() on the child pid to get its return status).