help me understand keepalive..

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sun May 15 23:15:46 GMT 2005

On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 06:46:01AM -0500, Steve Sether wrote:
> I applied this patch to 2.6.5pre1 and recompiled both sides
> and am still getting the same error.  My timeout is set to
> 59 seconds.

Hmm, it appears that your timeout is set in the server's config file,
not via the client's command-line.  Thus, the client cannot help to keep
the connection alive.  Since the client is the sender, my patch to make
the sender send keep-alive messages during checksum gaps can have no
effect without having a timeout in effect.  You should try running the
command again with --timeout=59 as a command-line arg.

This does raise an interesting issue that the daemon protocol should be
extended to share any config-set timeout value with the client so that
both sides know about the restriction, and can contribute to keeping the
connection alive.