rsync From Fedora Linux to Mac OS X is very slow and pauses

TGS spam at tachegroup.com
Wed May 11 07:52:48 GMT 2005

I have an issue.

I am using rsync to transfer a large amount of data, 25 GB, 22746
files. I am running rsync from the Mac OS X 10.3.9 machine, using the
options "--archive --delete --progress" to the linux machine, which is
Fedora Core 3 - current updates, with the xinetd rsync options
"--daemon".

What I am seeing is the rsync starts, and then pauses, then starts
again, and pauses, etc.... The throughput seems slow, when it is
transferring. When it pauses, I see that the Send-Q is often above
65000 on the Linux machine. When paused, there is no load on the Mac,
and the network activity is very low, if any on the Mac. This happens,
when I only am using Terminal, with not other processes running. I do
not have the firewall activated on the Mac.

 From the linux machine:
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign Address
     State
tcp        0  75128 ::ffff:192.168.2.5:22
::ffff:192.168.2.226:49698  ESTABLISHED

 From the Mac:
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address
(state)
tcp4       0      0  192.168.2.226.49698    192.168.2.5.22
ESTABLISHED

Any ideas?

TIA