rsync doesn't exit

Ken Gillett ken at ukgb.net
Mon May 9 18:24:12 GMT 2005

I have a problem with using rsync between a RH Linux 9 rsync server and
an ARM based device running what is basically debian linux. RSYNC
versions are 2.5.5.4 and 2.6.0 (or 2.5.5, makes no difference)
respectively and I have been testing with a set of about 50 files.

The ARM machine has no display, but when logged in via telnet I can run
a shell script that performs the synchronization and reports the result
exactly as it should. This works perfectly whether any files actually
need copying or not.

However, if instead I log in via ftp and use the 'site exec' command to
run the script, OR if I use the ARM device's built-in menu system to
start the script (IOW, no actual display output available for the
script) rsync does what it is supposed to, but never exits so the
script is effectively hung. It will remain like this indefinitely until
I 'kill' the 2 rsync processes, when rsync returns an error of 137.

By default my script captures the rsync output (to a variable) to be
able to report back to the originator and the script also echoes
information to provide feedback if it is run from a telnet session.
But, I have tested without either of these, IOW, nothing echoed and
leaving rsync to run with no attempt to capture the output and it makes
no difference so neither is the cause. However, the problem would
appear to be caused by the lack of a display device that is upsetting
rsync (the script runs perfectly if the rsync command is disabled - but
doesn't do what is required of course).

Does this make any sense to anyone and is there any solution that will
allow rsync to complete and exit normally? Right now I'm completely
stuck on this with no idea how to get around this issue.

Thanks.

Ken  G i l l e t t