DNS lookup failures with rsync 2.6.4 on HP UX 11

Selva Kumar Nataraj selvakumar.nataraj001 at msd.govt.nz
Sun May 8 22:31:34 GMT 2005

Hello All,

I have compiled Rsync 2.6.4 on HP UX 11 using gcc 4.0. rsync binary
fails to query DNS for a host name. If I give IP address instead of host
name everything works ok. I tried to run snoop on DNS server by failed
to recieve any packets. This would mean that rsync is not every hitting
DNS server.

I get this error message
*rsync -v hello::
rsync: getaddrinfo: hello 873: host nor service provided, or not known
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(99)
*

If I replace hello with proper ip address or then add hello and its ip
address in hosts file, everything works fine.

Any solution will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Selva

 -------------------------------
 This email message and any attachment(s) is intended only for the
 person(s) or entity(entities) to whom it is addressed. The
 information it contains may be classified as IN CONFIDENCE and may be
 legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient any use,
 disclosure or copying of the message or attachment(s) is strictly
 prohibited. If you have received this message in error please
 notify us immediately and destroy it and any attachment(s).
 Thank you. The Ministry of Social Development accepts no
 responsibility for changes made to this message or to any
 attachment(s) after transmission from the Ministry.