Apple patched rsync

Dick Visser dick at tienhuis.nl
Sun May 8 13:03:11 GMT 2005

Hi

It seems that the rsync binary that ships with Apple's new OSX 10.4 has
some custom patch applied that enables it to use extended attributes.
According to the man page the "--extended-attributes" or "-E" option is
the trick.

All Linux binaries I have come across do not support this option, so that
rsyncing from OSX to Linux fails.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to patch rsync to support
this on Linux (I already found out that this is dependent on the
underlying filesystem, which is XFS in my case).

Best regards,

--
  *    ***     Dick Visser         TIENHUIS Networking
 **   *   *    Marco Polostraat 234-3  P: +31206843731
  *   **  *    IP-phone (SIP)/email:  dick at tienhuis.nl
  *   *   *    PGP-key: http://www.tienhuis.nl/gpg.txt
  *   *   *    Webcam: http://www.tienhuis.nl/cam2.asx
 ***   ***