rsync error: partial transfer (code 23) at main.c(578)

Ganesan Sethuraman gan_04 at chennai.net
Mon May 2 06:14:23 GMT 2005

Hi,
  I  am  using  rsync  to  replicate  files from one system to another  one.  While  doing  rsync, sometimes it fails with the following error.

# usr/bin/rsync -zaR -e ssh --partial  "/home/guest/replicate/new/new_1"  remote:/

mkstemp  home/guest/replicate/new/.new_1.4J9w2F failed:  Invalid
argument

rsync error: partial transfer (code 23) at main.c(578)

Could  anyone  pls  tell  me, why this error occurs. Under what
conditions this error will occur?  This error is not happening consistently but only sometimes. Pls clarify.

Thanks in advance,
Ganesan