Some files not logged when using --compare-dest. Bug?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Mar 31 23:41:00 GMT 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 02:34:14PM +0200, Vidar Madsen wrote:
> I just spotted another peculiarity when inspecting the rsync log. When
> using --compare-dest, source files that have permissions that differ
> from the "comparables" are not logged, unless you're using -i.

Yes, rsync has historically not reported files that are the same except
for their attributes (permissions, group, owner) unless you use two -v
options or (in 2.6.4) a log-format with %i (e.g. using the -i option).
However, --compare-dest does complicate this, since the identical file
can be in the --compare-dest dir, and not in the actual destination dir.
Earlier in the development cycle, I noticed that rsync was not updating
a file that differed in attributes when using --compare-dest, so I
decided to fix that for 2.6.4.  However, since the file is not actually
transferred (it is copied locally), it can be deceptive that the name is
not output with only one -v.  The way it currently works is that rsync
outputs just what it would have output if the destination were a merging
of the --compare-dest files with the destination files.