Is rsync right for us?

Amadeus R. jav9d2p02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Mar 31 01:23:46 GMT 2005

> Yes,
> We would want to overwrite the older file
> on the IBM server, to match the updated version
> on the G4.

This is possible, but I haven't tried that.

> I guess I mis-understood the -a option....
> :)

Sort of=)

> Does rsync need to be installed on both servers to work?

I don't know what is the best way, when you want to send data both ways.

Try reading:

http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/preview/rsync.html
http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/preview/rsyncd.conf.html

and look under CONNECTING TO AN RSYNC SERVER.

There are also good examples at
http://samba.anu.edu.au/rsync/examples.html

You mentioned you wanted to back up every 30minutes. Be sure that all
data can in worst case be transferred in less than 15 minutes to avoid
an never ending queue.

I would advise to only back up once per day for many reasons, but most
importantly, if you by mistake delete a file, you have to notice it
within 30 minutes before the file is deleted on the back up aswell.

Doing back up while someone is editing a file is never good, so try to
only make the back up, when the chance of someone working on the files
is low.

Daily Cron would be perfect for this job.