Spam to this list

Steve Bonds knnf6cy7w001 at sneakemail.com
Fri Mar 25 20:01:49 GMT 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:42:19 +0100 (CET), Dag Wieers dag-at-wieers.com
|Rsync List| <...> wrote:

> I'm not sure what the policy of this list is and I bet everyone has a spam
> filter, so nobody might have noticed, but we got spammed.
>
> Can anyone send mail to the list or do you have to subscribe first ?

Anyone can send mail, including phishers. I think we all got this one
an hour ago or so:

-----
 We regret to inform you that your eBay account could be suspended if
you don't re-update your account information. To resolve this problems
please  click here and re-enter your account information. If your
problems could not be resolved your account will be suspended for a
period of 3-4 days, after this period your account will be terminated.
-----

This nicely done phish uses
http://lenix.brinkster.net/ebay/redirect.php to collect your Ebay
login information.

The rsync list is one of my higher sources of spam, but I also
understand the reasoning behind keeping the list open.  The list
managers have installed filters, but they can only do so much.

For a complete history of spam discussions here, try this Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=spam&num=10&as_sitesearch=lists.samba.org

  -- Steve